The art of mothering


There are times when I look back and realize how much I have changed as an individual. I had always hated stuff like poo, pee or any other body fluids for that matter. You would consider me, the epitome of lady-like manners. I think it is the process of becoming a mother that changed me inside out! You know what I'm talking about. It's the labor room experience.

I hated getting comfortable as my lady parts were out there for the experts to see. The whole of last trimester all I could think about was my modesty. How would I bring myself to do it? However, once the pain hit me, I hardly cared about such trivial matters. Previously, I was anxious about stuff that seemed so stupid. I later thought to myself, why would I put myself through all that mental agony?

Once my boo arrived after a long exhausting labor, all I could think about was how blessed I am. It was as if our beautiful family was complete.  Nothing mattered, not even the fact that I was being stitched up down there, as I held my baby! This is exactly my point. Dear mothers, if you are reading this, I will tell you one thing. Don’t pass your days worrying. Things will happen when they have to. You can't force a developmental milestone, it will happen when the child is ready.
For example, you could spend months, worrying and toiling hard to sleep-train your baby. There is only so much you can do. It all depends on the baby to stick to it. You can spend your days worrying about potty training and then go against all your instincts, start potty training just because it says so in a book. Like all mothers, you will end up frustrated and the kid will lose confidence in himself. So you see, worrying just messes things up.

Go with your instincts. Don’t let a book or a person dictate your child’s readiness. They will do things when they are ready. Don’t sweat it, enjoy the little moments.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Messy hair and giant meltdown

Steps to stress guard your family

5 Unknown Secrets of a Happy Relationship